A few weeks ago, someone was asking about a breadless meat loaf on the 4HB forum. There were a few suggestions, but I have another.My Paraguayan mother-in-law makes the *best* meat loaf I’ve ever had.
The way she makes it is way better, partly because she’s been doing it forever, but also because of the way she cooks it. You can do it all at once, but she usually makes it the night before so it can set. Then when she’s ready to cook it, she goes outside with her machete, finds sticks, and starts a wood fire in her outdoor oven. The meat loaf comes out with a naturally smokey flavor that is unbeatable.
You could do it that way, but we didn’t for this one (you can bet I will be trying when the weather is better). Follow this recipe and you’ll get a moist, delicious, slow-carb meat loaf in about 45 minutes.
- 2 lbs ground beef (the leaner the better)
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- pinch or two of nutmeg
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (interesting: they say “teeth of garlic” in Spanish)
- 1 egg
- 4 or so slices of bacon cut up into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 2 or 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Mix all of the ingredients except the optional ones in a bowl and mix well. Use your hands – it’s fun!
- On a sheet of aluminum foil, spread out the meat mixture (you’re going to roll it in a second)
- Lay out in the middle your shredded carrots, peppers, and hard-boiled eggs. Ña Ever leaves them whole, but you can also slice the eggs and lay that out.
- Roll the meat up, joining the ends and the seam so it looks like a log. The foil will help you. Use the foil to keep it closed for cooking.
- Cook at 350 for 45 mins to an hour. At 40 mins, open the foil a bit to check.
As you can see in the photo, I enjoyed my pan de carne with a side of lentils cooked with some Indian masala. Between the meat loaf and some type of legume, you’ve got everything you need for a meal.
I’m sure you’ll love this meat loaf, and I look forward to hearing how you like it in the comments!