I took my own advice.
We had a family dinner one recent Saturday, and I asked what we would be eating. Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and “a vegetable.” I asked my mom if I could bring a bean salad. This bean recipe is what came out of that.
This particular recipe is different than your typical multi-bean salad. Normally it has a dressing that tastes good – nice and vinegary – but also very sweet. I could have done the same thing and just used splenda, but why does everything have to be sweet? I used an EVOO base to create a flavorful, savory, almost-spicy dressing. It works incredibly.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1/4 c EVOO
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp (ish) lime juice
- cilantro and oregano to taste
- Rinse and drain all the beans and place in a bowl.
- In a separate container, combine the oil, lime juice, and the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the oil mixture over the beans, and with a spatula slowly turn over from the bottom to the top, rotating the bowl as you go. Eventually it’ll all get picked up and coated evenly
It couldn’t be easier. I hope you love it! Please come back and let me know how it turns out!
Got any other great bean recipes? Share them in the comments!