photo credit: thebittenword.com
Browsing the 4HB Talk Forums earlier, I came across this post that I need to share with you, and add my own twists (of course).
I don’t know how hot it is by you, but it’s like Hades around here, so iced coffees are what hits the spot in the afternoons. My mouth was watering as I considered this brew method.
- Coarse ground coffee OR your favorite whole bean and a coffee grinder(I prefer to grind my own right before I make it)
- A french press (or a pot, description below)
- Orange zest or your favorite flavor enhancer (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
- Add about 6 tbsp of coffee grinds into your french press (give it a 1.5 to 2 tbps per cup ratio)
- Add the flavor enhancer(s)
- Add cold water until full
- Leave it on the counter 12-24 hours to steep
- After waiting, plunge and drain the coffee.
- Add a few cubes and enjoy! If your coffee is too strong, add a bit of water to it (I didn’t need any in mine).
- For an extra bit of fun, use some unsweetened coconut milk!
If you don’t have a french press and don’t want to buy one: do all of the steeping in a pan, and when you’re ready to drain use a coffee filter or a cheesecloth.
I prepared this to drink last night, and it really tastes extremely good. It’s not bitter like you’d expect from such a long brew time. I’ve got some more this morning because it’s much warmer than it really needs to be outside. 😉
Thanks to CJinNYC for the awesome idea!